April’s 28-Day Challenge on Facebook will be focused on taking serious action with the junk that we have allowed to stay in the closets of our mind and heart.
This particular challenge was inspired by my late Aunt Laverne who challenged me years ago to read the entire book of Philippians in my Bible every day for 30 consecutive days. She boldly assured me that, “it will change your life!”
Aunt Laverne knew that the Bible is a type of washing machine, that agitates us until all the dirt is loosened from our minds and hearts and then rinses us with the pure water of Truth.
I am ashamed to say that I never took her up on that challenge. Well, now I am! Want to join me?
HERE’S THE PLEDGE:
From April 1 through April 28, I will read the entire book of Philippians every day.
HERE ARE THE RULES:
- PRAY FIRST: Before I read Philippians, I will spend time in prayer asking God to cleanse and open my heart and mind.
- STAY FOCUSED: As I read Philippians, I will not allow thoughts of “so-and-so” should read “such-and-such” a verse and distract me from what I need to hear from God about my own soul cleaning.
- GET CLARITY: I will read the book of Philippians in different versions, translations or paraphrases to help open my understanding of the text.
- BE ABSORBABLE: I will read Philippians all the way through like a love letter from God.
- MAKE A LIST: Each day I will write down what area of my soul God is pinpointing and give it my full, prayerful attention. (My journal will help me stay accountable and obedient to God’s call to “be holy because I am holy” 1 Peter 1:16)
- GET TO IT! I will attack each thing that God points out to me that needs cleaning by sincere action: repent, scrub and repeat as necessary.
- STAY CLEAN: I will memorize key verses to assist me in keeping my mind and heart clean on a daily basis and to guard the ground I gain through this deep cleansing.
- BE “ALL IN”: I will allow God’s Holy Spirit to choose what gets cleaned in my heart and mind and not regulate or restrict Him
God is very serious and deliberate about the cleanliness of our soul:
“But I, the LORD, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve.” (Jeremiah 17:10 NLT)
So, let’s get busy!
Here are a few of the areas God will cleanse us in through His ALL-PURPOSE CLEANSER: PHILIPPIANS…
- Work Ethics
- Life Goals
- Thought Life
Who will help us with this monumental house-cleaning job?
God: the Architect of our soul’s house.
God the Son, Jesus Christ: the Planner of all cleaning projects, the Perfect Interior Designer, the Way (to clean), the Truth (of what really needs cleaning) and the Life (that makes all things fresh and clean)!
God the Holy Spirit: the Cleansing Agent, the Organizer, the Advisor, the Launderer, the Power!
God’s Word tells us that that if we earnestly search for Him, we will find Him (Jeremiah 29:13). If you are ready for a real deep cleaning in your spiritual life, join me in April for this exciting, vigorous 28-day challenge!